Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Baby Shower

My second photojournalism class had two sessions: a baby shower and outdoor portraits. Despite the fact that I love special events and want to improve my picture taking skills, I found this rather difficult. My teacher shared an acronym with us that we're suppose to use in our photography: DMOP (Detail, Medium, Overall personality, and Portrait). Perhaps it's because I didn't think the venue gave a "baby shower feel," I am uncomfortable photographing strangers, and I couldn't get a great portrait of honoree. It's great practice, though!

It was held at the Spectrum Lounge, and this is a reflection of the party from the bar mirror.

I tried to get an "overall" photo of the party. This is the best shot I got with the participants looking lively.

OK, I cheated on this photo. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get a great picture of her. I removed the red eye, slightly sharpened it, and cropped the photo for her portrait.
Can't forget about the details!


2 comments:

Kim

That's cool that you are taking that class. Since I got an SLR camera for Christmas too, I really want to take it as well. It's the one thru the A&C center, right? I have to find a month when I have 4 Sunday afternoons in a row free, but your pics look great and sounds like you are learning a lot. I really need to do it as well!

Maricel Johns

Thanks! Yeah, the class at A&C Center. It's definitely helped me--I seriously didn't know how to use my camera before I started the class. It was always on auto.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...