Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cherry Blossoms

I was battling a sore throat for a week before it turned into a cold, and I thought I was going through the different stages of it--that sore throat of doom, then the neverending runny nose, followed by the I-can't-breathe-where's-the-Vick's?, and finally, I'm able to release all this pent up green mucous inside me. Except after awhile, it was just the blocked nasal passages and clear mucous. I couldn't understand it. I was starting to feel better, but I still couldn't breathe and I lost my voice. Every time I would describe my symptoms to people, they would say I probably have allergies. Explaining that there's something about Japan where people who have never had allergies seem to get it bad here. Preposterous. I never had allergies before, so I couldn't have allergies, and I couldn't be like those other people. Perhaps I'm just coming down with another cold or just in the eye of this one. I even tested the allergy theory by walking underneath the cherry blossoms by the river, and I could breathe without any problems. Well, apparently I was wrong. I saw a doctor, and he confirmed that I had multi-symtoms of a cold and allergies. We just don't know what I'm allergic to. Now thinking back, I guess my body did start reacting once the cherry blossoms started coming in bloom two weeks ago, and now that they're beauty is fading away, I'm starting to feel better. I still don't think it's the cherry blossoms, though, and I don't have the time to walk up to every plant to figure it out.

With the on and off rain that's visited us and my sickness, I haven't been in the mood to take photos. However, my friends' beautiful photos of the cherry blossoms inspired me to go out there before it was too late (and I was able to test the allergy theory). How could I not? Especially since it's my first cherry blossom season in Japan.

I drove down to the Tama River in Fussa, and, luckily, found a trail lined with cherry blossoms.




I just can't believe that they only last a few weeks. I'm glad I got to take a few shots of them!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...