Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shipping Tidbits

Why is it that while I love receiving mail, I hate sending it? I decided to drop off the candy bars package at the main branch since I figured it would have one less place to travel. Plus, I wanted to send it via Priority Mail, so I assumed that since it was the main branch, it would have plenty of flat rate boxes in stock. Well, I was wrong. They didn't have very much in stock of anything, but, luckily, I had the huge box I brought the candy bars in, which, I learned that the dimensions of the box just increases the shipping size. It wasn't until I logged onto usps.com that learned that you can order shipping supplies for free, which I will now be doing in the future so I don't find myself in the same situation again. USPS has an Express Mail Service Commitment page where you can determine the delivery date and time for your shipment. I think they should do this for all of their mailing services, so that you can compare the best shipment service just like their postage price calculator.

Now when I arrived at the post office, there was barely anyone in line. While packaging my items into the original box that I brought, more people were streaming into the office and the line was getting longer--all the way to the door. There were three associates on the opposite side of the counter, and I can sympathize if all three of them were busy helping us. However, it was frustrating to watch that one of them place the sign "Next Register" on his booth and another employee just stand there and watch her coworker help us. So instead of three people working, it was just one guy! I don't understand it, and I was upset when I was in front of the line and watch the only guy working walk away to the back and have the "Next Register" guy say, "He'll be back in any moment to help you." Why doesn't he just help me? Is that too much to ask? I would possibly understand if I was the only customer, but the line went all the way to the doorway. It just doesn't seem logical, productive and unteamlike to me. Ugh. Next time I'll request a pickup.

These are just a few lessons learned from my neighborhood post office. I definitely don't want to go through that again, especially with the holidays right around the corner!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...